There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies. Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival. Check out the things that you can do with it:
- 1st Emergency. The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out now!
- 2nd Remote key less entry. Have you locked your keys in the car? Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy some day. If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their mobile phone from your mobile phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone at their end. Your car will unlock. It saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, but if you can reach someone who has the other ‘remote’ for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the boot). Editor’s Note: It works fine, just like the 112 Emergency number! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a mobile phone!’
- 3rd Hidden Battery Power. Imagine your mobile battery is very low and you have no means to charge it – a situations we all find ourselves in, from time to time. To activate the hidden battery power, press the keys *3370# . Your mobile will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your mobile next time.
- 4th Disabling a stolen mobile phone. First, check your Mobile phone’s serial number, by keying in the following digits on your phone: * # 0 6 #. A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. If your phone gets stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won’t get your phone back, but at least you know that the thief can’t use or sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.
- Finally, here’s a great tip that we recommend you DON’T try out, and hope you never need! ATM – PIN Number Reversal . If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your PIN in reverse. For example, if your pin number is 1234, then you would put in 4321. The ATM system recognizes that your PIN number is backwards from the ATM card you placed in the machine. The machine will still give you the money you requested, but unknown to the robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to the location. This information was recently broadcast on CTV by Crime Stoppers, but it is seldom used because people just don’t know about it. Please pass this along to everyone. This is the kind of information people don’t mind receiving, so pass it on to your family and friends.
Source: Ramonsito C. Gulaya AP Chemistry Teacher, Chemistry and Geology Group College Preparatory Center, Industrial Training Department Saudi Arabian Oil Company P.O. Box 63, Dhahran 31311 Eastern Province, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Tel. No. +966 3 877 2627 Mobile No. +966 53 401 1435